- Provide services and programs to adults who wish to learn; supporting them to achieve their personal or workplace goals.
- Reach out to parents and caregivers of young children. Give them skills, tools and support to develop a love of learning and school-readiness in the child.
- Work alongside the existing system of family development programs to increase pre-literacy supports and program sustainability.
- Work alongside community agencies to encourage and develop learning opportunities for youth to progress beyond their current capabilities.
- Work with local businesses to create or improve literacy and employability skills training in the workplace.
How We Started
The Chilliwack Learning Society (CLS) was incorporated in 1990 as the Fraser Valley East Literacy Association. It was founded by the then Fraser Valley College (now UFV), School District 33, Chilliwack Library, Chilliwack Health, Chilliwack Community Services and numerous local organizations, with the aim to “promote literacy for all groups and individuals” in the community.
How We Do It
CLS builds relationships and partnerships to better meet the learning needs of all community members, to make possible the successful learning, development and growth of the individual, the family and the community.